The sun rose, scorching the horizon with its warmth and light. All creatures earth-bound or not awoke from their deep slumber. I too, woke up with the beginning of a new day. Without taking notice of anything else, I slumped myself into the bathroom and went through the normal phase of cleaning.
10 minutes later, all dressed and ready, I left the house with a heavy heart. Deep down, a piercing shriek reveberated around the inner walls of my heart. Sighing, I went to the bus stop and waited for my bus to come.
The moment I got in the bus, a lot of eyes darted towards my direction. Amidst the many secular students, I was a peculiar sight with my striking yellow and green uniform. Ignoring everyone, I plunged myself into a state of passiveness. With soft music serenating me, I dared to daydream about the day's events.
Soon, I arrived at my stop. I tapped out of the bus and walked as slowly as I could to school. The cool feeling of morning drifted away, bit by bit. Slightly annoyed by this, I trudged up the stairs of the mosque and waited for the perfect time to leave for school.
The moment came and I hurried in putting on my shoes. Finding my class, I sat right infront, assigning myself as the class monitor. Looking at the eyes of my classmates, I sighed deeply.
Right after the assembly, I moved away from my class and went to my usual spot beside my juniors. Like every Friday, the secondary students would have a performance. This proved to be a good time for me to take pictures. With it, I gain some familiarity with the secondary students of the school.
A half hour passed and I obtained quite a number of pictures. Slightly bothered by my emptiness, I took my time in walking soas to be the last to leave the void deck.
The lessons started and either willingly or unwillingly, I put myself in class. The language teacher entertained us with his positivity and witty impressions of people. Somehow, my lips remained unmoved.
A second recess was called and I found myself alone yet again. To this, my closest friends came to me and tried to comfort me. Despite their attempts to make me talk, my heart would not open up. I walked away from them, feeling guilty and frustrated at myself for being so selfish in the face of help.
The lessons continued afterwards and I found myself even more restless in class. I fidgeted and kept looking out the window. It seemed as if every second dragged. My mind was lost in a sea of confusion and mysticism. When finally class ended, the whole class was instructed to go to the hall. I trudged down the stairs and got into the hall, sitting by some good friends. There, the teacher had us write our likes and dislikes about exams.
By the end of the ordeal, I felt so miserable. I left immediately and went to do my prayers.
After that, I headed over to assist my religious teacher. However, I had to hand over the class keys to my assistant and at the same time, I had to meet the teacher in charge of discipline.
Hastily, I ran down 4 storeys to meet the discipline master. Luckily, he was in a good mood so I was excused from the prefect meeting.
I ran back to the teacher's room, meeting one of my classmates and handed the keys to her before continuing my hurried sprint. I arrived back in time to help carry some stuff for my teacher. I was occuped for the next half hour performing the duties he instructed me.
A half hour later, I returned to the canteen, tired and sweaty. The weather wasnt helping either. It remained humid and no breeze accompanied it. My mood worsened increasingly. My close friends came by and sat with me. Fred, Andy and Mike seemed to notice my sadness. They tried to cheer my up by telling their adventures at the 8th storey. At this piece of news, I lost a nerve and walked away, finding a place to be alone.
I found myself brooding at the 5th storey. I tried to think clearly, trying to figure out my current problems but it seemed unexplainable. Out of nowhere, Sarah, the apple of my eye, the dove of my heart appeared and accompanied me. Still, my heart would not open. It hurt, knowing that the deepest pits of my heart remained locked and unopened. My soul reached out to her, almost wanting to get closer but my body stayed rooted. She left me feeling emptier than a tin can.
Fred and Mike came afterwards and tried to comfort me yet again. I could sense the seriousness of Fred's voice and the worry in Mike's voice. They made me feel even more guiltier. At that moment, I lost all sense of happiness. I left them and just walked and walked and just kept on walking.
I guess the weather might have mimicked my feelings at that time because it rained heavily. Lightning crackled and thunder rolled in the clouds overhead. It darkened greatly, worrying my few friends who were still at school.
I went to my class and tried to take the time to rest in the cool weather. But then, 4 of my female classmates entered the class and just did their own stuff. They wondered why I was still at school and I told them of my plans of studying with my friends. They nodded understandingly and carried on taking pictures of themselves. They didnt mind me much and I quite enjoyed the absence of guys for the time being.
Andy came to my class and called me down for our class with our maths teacher. He explained his heartfelt feelings for me which made me feel indifferent. I went down to the extra classes with him. There, I found the others and the teacher. They kept quiet around me, knowing that I was too occupied to bother them.
After the lesson, in an attempt to cheer me up, they all hugged me affectionately. A small smile eased upon my face. We went to wait out our extra minutes for prayer time. I still felt a bit sad somehow but I looked up, hoping to see Sarah again. Hopes fell when no sight of her came. In fact, it was Angie that I saw. She didnt seem to care much that I was there nor did she greet me. To this, I regained some feeling of bitterness and resentment. Lowering my sights, I went to perform my prayers.
Seeing as how I wasnt quite in the mood to take the bus, I took the train with Fred and Andy. I was glad that they didnt remind me the day's events. I sighed out the last moments of the day and returned to the very same place I left in the morning. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment