"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you..."

Sunday, June 21, 2009

My 15th Gregorian Birthday

Its come then... a 1/4 of my life has passed and what have I to be proud of? Im constantly shadowed by my friends and always left out because... well, people dont like being around. But today, rest assure that I will spend the day with the closest of people... my family.
I asked Mother not to do anything grand for me. Really, it isnt that important. So anyway, it was a Saturday, and my father was working. My two cousins and their two children had gone out and left me at home alone. Mother had gone to the market so she wouldnt be home for a few hours. Sigh... Im all alone, I thought.
Towards the end of the day, my Mother showed me a simple square cake... which she had made herself. Oh, I felt so happy that she cared. But alas, my world is small... and anyway, I had a surprise for the family.
Few hours later...
The clock signalled 8pm. Neither my father nor my cousins were home. I felt as if they didnt want me, I gave a small chuckle to cheer myself up. Suddenly, a calling of 'Assalamualaikum' reverberated throughout the house. Father was home! I hugged him and went back to my original seating place at the sofa. Half an hour passed by and my cousins were still not home. So, my parent decided we just cut the cake and be on with it. My parents sang a malay version of a happy birthday song. You know... "Allah selamatkan kamu"? Yeah, that one. I cut the cake and the three of us ate some pizza. 15 minutes passed before my cousins returned. I was like... great, now you show up. But a smile sufficed which showed my real feelings. We ate together. That night, I slept content.

No comments: